Thursday, December 13, 2007

He gives strength to the weary....

Okay, well I (Melissa) tend to focus on the milestones and "smiling moments" on this blog, but I have to be honest that it was one rough week around this house... I have been battling a very nasty cold and Aaron has been on a kick of waking up crying every two hours at night for well over a week (not sure if it was due to teething, shots at the doctor last week, tummy aches from the new cereal?) Yesterday both of us hit the wall, as we were both exhausted, and I honestly don't know how we managed to get through all that I had to do since one or both of us was crying on and off constantly. I consider myself a fairly strong and stable person, so I kept wondering how everyone around me seems to manage so well being a mom and staying happy and sane, as well as feeling guilty for acting like my precious boy was a burden to me that day. I literally told God that He better show up and help me if He was good and faithful as He claimed. Oddly enough, someone read aloud on the radio the end of Isaiah 40, "He gives strength to the weary... Those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." I am so grateful for this promise because I am merely at the beginning of this whole motherhood thing; I know that it will not be the last time that I will need God to provide the ability beyond my own to rise above what I am dealing with. And wouldn't you know it, guess who slept 8 hours last night without a peep? Psalm 105:1 "Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples."

6 comments:

Dana said...

thanks for being so vulnerable! you really encouraged me. i love when He lifts us up in that way- so visible and refreshing.

you are an amazing mom- and i can't wait to see the crazy funny stuff your little guy says =)

Anonymous said...

We've all been there girl! Isn't God amazing! You know my motto, Parenthood is the most humbleing experience! You are awesome!

Betsy said...

Oh we have ALL been there. I know because I was a young dumb Mom trying to figure things out and boy I have been in your place, not that your dumb (just me) but it's true God is faithful and he will hold you and take care of you. Thanks goodness we have that to hold on too. I deceided long ago all these infamous Mom's are a facade and for me I like & respect the humble and the real.

jessamyn said...

oh yes! anyone who is a full time parent has been there...sometimes several times a day! it isn't easy, this thing called motherhood...and we all get to these places that are trying and frustrating...especially, i think, in the beginning when there is so much adjustment taking place. i am always in awe of those who are so put together with it. i just hope that by being honest about my imperfections as a mom and doing my best, I will somehow be "enough".
thanks for sharing, beautiful you!

Melissa Stephenson said...

I don't usually comment on my own blog, but many thanks to you all for your encouragement and understanding. It's so great to have friends out there that can come alongside and relate, offer advice, and just laugh at life with me! Thank you!!!

Danielle said...

Crazy weird, but the same thing just happened to me with Sawyer! I was at the end of my patience and strength and that night he slept for 7 hours. I think it was the most beautiful, blissful sleep I've had in awhile :-)It's amazing how being a mother is more rewarding and loving than you thought possible, but also harder than you ever dreamed! I love looking at your blog to see Aaron and hear a little about your life. You were such a catalyst in my own life and I like that we can stay in touch, even if just through pictures on a blog!