Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Prodigal Son


A story that has always been very close to my heart has been the story of The Prodigal Son found in Luke 15:11-32. After reading Henri Nouwen's Return of the Prodigal Son (read it if you never have!) in college, I got a copy of Rembrants' painting depicting the scene and have always had it hanging in my room. I was really happy when my Aunt Nancy gave Aaron a book that we all read when we were little that had this story in it. Aaron has really enjoyed these books lately and it has been cool to begin teaching him what it's in the Bible.

For some reason a few weeks ago, when I got to the climax of the story where the boy returns back to his Father, Aaron sweetly and heart-breakingly began to sob. I have never seen him cry out of empathy for someone else and I began crying along with him - it was just so sad and I was not sure why he got so emotional. Lee was gone at the time so I had him read it to Aaron a few days later, thinking it might help that his own daddy was not "bye-bye." Again, lots of bitter tears. A few days later, I tried reading another version of the story from a different Bible story book not sure if he would equate the two. He did and again, sobbed hard in my neck as he clutched me....

Needless to say, we will probably avoid this story for at least a little while.... We don't know exactly what causes his tears when reading this story - as much as it breaks my heart to see my little boy so upset and sad, it also gives me much joy and hope to see a tender heart forming within him as he views sin and our need for reconciliation with God. I pray and desire so deeply for this little heart to know the Lord and live for Him....

Anyway, that being said and to close on a lighter note regarding Bible stories, Aaron also likes talking about the "NO NO apple" that Adam and Eve ate. =)

3 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! What a tender heart he has. He's going to make a great Christian... someday.

Wallace said...

this is the sweetest sweetest story.

Kristie said...

This brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet boy and a good mama. Oh, and I love the "no-no apple". =)