Monday, September 21, 2009

"Movie Church"

Something that I have gained new perspective on GREATLY since becoming a parent is the childcare provided at a church; It is a huge bonus for a parent to feel comfortable dropping their child off somewhere where they will be cared by others and out of their immediate sight, which I'm sure you all can attest to!

Aaron has always had difficulty being dropped off and staying in nursery in his short little life and it is always something we seem to be working through, esp. the last few months of transition out of R.M.C.C. and into Harvest. (Many of you have gotten to witness and experience the brunt of his wrath in childcare) It was a point of stress for me, because really, we don't have a choice - with the responsibilities Lee and I have on a Sunday morning, Aaron just HAS to stay put in there. And not only stay put, but be happy so I'm not stressing about how he is wearing out the children's workers!!! =)

Fortunately for us, Harvest has an awesome children's pastor in Brian Baker who has established an amazing group of volunteers for Sunday mornings.

You can't really see Aaron in this pic, but this is a shot of Aaron's "Clubhouse Kids" classroom at "Movie church" (his title for Harvest). He has come to LOVE his time in this class every Sunday morning and I can't say enough what a relief it is to see him have fun and be happy, as well as hear and learn about the Bible.

Here is a picture of Aaron with one of his teachers named Kathy, who he has grown quite attached too:
Um... let's try not picking our nose for the nice picture, Aaron...


There. That's better.

A few weeks ago, they talked about Daniel and the Lion's Den and made lion masks....

Aaron had to carry his mask EVERYWHERE with him for the next several days. He was so proud of it....

These children's workers minister directly to my son, but in effect, they minister to me at the same time because they take such great care of him. I am so grateful for them!

3 comments:

Melissa Stephenson said...

P.S. All this being said, if you have a hard time dropping your kid off at church (whether it's because of him having a hard time or you =)), you have my sympathies. But I encourage you to push through it - It's good for you and it is definitely good for them.

Kristie said...

I love this post. I'm so happy for you to have found "success." I totally see how his having a hard time could ruin your whole Sunday morning. What a blessing that you have such creative and loving volunteers. These "formative years" are more important than we often give them credit for, and it's nice to know you have other people in your corner....

Kristie said...

p.s. I LOVE that Aaron calls it "movie church." LOL! =)