Monday, August 15, 2011

A Good Day

Lee had to stay long at church yesterday, so the kids and I came home to eat lunch and Noel took a nap. As Aaron and I ate, he told me that they had learned about Jonah in his Sunday school class and how Jonah didn't obey God. He then asked me if Jonah had gone to hell because he didn't obey. We have had an ongoing dialogue the past month about heaven and hell (so this question was not totally out of the ordinary) and once again I explained to him that just because we don't obey doesn't mean that we go to hell. I told him everyone disobeys sometime and the reason you go to hell is because you don't love and believe in Jesus. Both Lee and I have wanted to answer his questions in this area very clearly, but try to not manipulate him into making a decision about believing and loving Jesus. On this occasion, Aaron expressed to me very adamantly, "Mommy, I don't want to go to hell. I believe Jesus and love him.... I want to go to heaven." I told him then what he needed to do was to pray to ask Jesus to come into his heart and be in charge of his life if he wanted to go to heaven. At first, he wanted me to pray for him, but I told him that Mommy couldn't pray it for him because he himself needed to ask Jesus. I told him I would help him and he then and there bowed his head and repeated after me asking Jesus to forgive him of his sins, thanking Him for dying on the cross, and asking him to be in charge of his life so that he could go to heaven. It was truly an amazing moment, and oddly enough, sort of simple. I know there is still so much of his salvation that is beyond his little four year old mind's capacity, but I felt strongly that there was a level of understanding and sincerity in his reasoning and what he articulated. So we celebrated and will make it a point to remember this important day....

.... with our favorite new drink right now, Fresca. Doesn't he looked so much more saved now?

And just so Noel is not left out - Here is some video of her. She loves her baby doll so much (a hand me down from our friends) and it is hilarious....

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah for Aaron!! And I am so glad that baby doll is being put to good use, lol! :)

Kristie said...

I'm so happy for Aaron and for Mommy and Daddy. I LOVE that he celebrated with a Fresca. =) And Noel is simply adorable. Her love and enthusiasm for the baby reminds me so much of Lily at that stage.

Wallace said...

melissa, so sweet. such reason to celebrate! i love how you explained it to him so simply and clearly. wallace is in a major "heaven" stage right now too.... SO fascinated with it and full of questions. keeps me on my toes! :)

Tanya said...

brynn and owen were laughing so hard when they saw her "patting" or according to them "spanking the baby and then when she was "kissing" or according to them "licking" the baby! I had to play it 4 times!

The Modugnos said...

Im hoping Noel is out of the "kissing" stage by christmas..otherwise ill be wiping my face with a towel afterward-SO FUNNY.