Monday, March 24, 2008

Celebrating Easter

Lee being in ministry means that Easter weekend is always a very busy one, and it's always dangerous for us to get caught up in the tasks and "doing", rather than reflecting on the significance of what we are celebrating. Lee was in charge of constructing a prayer labrinth for people to walk through on Good Friday, which involved several different stations and exercises in which you could pray and meditate through. One of the stations involved taking communion at the base of a makeshift cross and as I sat there, I was overwhelmed by the fact that Mary took a similar position on her knees at the foot of a cross looking up at her son hanging there in agony. I'm sure this especially hit home due to the fact that this was the first Easter for me to be a mom to a son, and I was overwhelmed by the emotion of what must have been felt by everyone there that day watching that scene. As I thought about the emotion Mary must have felt in that situation, I realized even more the sacrifice that took place that day - Mary was allowed a glimpse of what it must have been like for God to allow His only son to die for our sins.... I know it's the simple basic truth of Christianity, but it took on a new meaning again for me this weekend. I'm always grateful for these new realizations to understand God more and what He did for us, as it can be a routine for me to "celebrate" Easter....

5 comments:

Team Hedrick said...

Melissa! It's your long lost Biola friend, Lesley! I just caught a glimpse of your blog and your beautiful family through Amber's blog connection. I would love to catch up with you. You seem like you are enjoying motherhood and Aaron is just precious! I'd love to hear from you! lesley.hedrick@gmail.com

Sara said...

I love this post...We seem to forget about the true meaning of this day in the middle of eggs and food and candy...thank you!

Kristie said...

Good reflection! Oh, and I think Aaron looks just like his Grandpa Fox in that picture....

Trudy said...

Beautiful family Melis!!
I loved what you wrote too!
Trudy

Natalie said...

You have always been just inspiring to me. I admire your faith and willingness to share it. Just something we all need to hear.
Looks like you have a happy life! You deserve it!
:)